writings, recordings, courses
- CD (July 1997) "Francette Bartholomée: "Harpe chromatique, harpe diatonique".
(see Mrs. Bartholomée's address)
Recently released by Mrs Bartholomee: Paysages de Harpes. A CD featuring chromatic harp pieces such as the "Danses" by Debussy. Conatct her distributor at www.cypres-records.com.
- Harper Tasche has several CDs with x-harp music. On his December 1997,
"Long Night Bright" CD a small x-harp is used half of the recording as both a solo
and ensemble voice, including original, historical and traditional music. The x-harp
is the featured instrument in medieval, victorian, folk and jazz styles.
Recently released (Oct.1998) Harper Tasche's CD "Dichotomy Cafe" (with an accent on the -e-). A wonderful blend of flute, bowed psaltery and harp music, involving Harper's small cross strung harp.
"Depth of Field" is Harper Tasche's latest harp music CD. (Dec 98) The CD is a solo piece played entirely on Harper's new cross strung chromatic harp, a five octave harp which he has designed in collaboration with Mark and Val Blessley (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). In my opinion, Harper's new CD is a not only a wonderful harp music recording but also a spectacular illustration of the level of musical interpretation that can be achieved on a chromatic harp without pedals.
Harper's CD features delightful adaptations of well known keyboard music pieces (from baroque to jazz); traditional Irish harp music and musical pieces of his own. Music lovers and students of the harp will be delighted and intrigued to find out what can be achieved on a chromatic harp the size and shape of a good size folk harp. Harper's interpretation of J.S. Bach's Preludio in C major from the "Well Tempered Clavier", in particular, is a spectacular demonstration of what can be done with these harps. Harper Tasche can be contacted at: email@example.com
- Liz Cifany has produced a CD: Bella Stella with some chromatic harp.
- Verlene Schermer has three CD's that feature music on her x-strung harp: Now & Then, which is a flute and harp CD and has a companion book including duets for x-strung harp and flute; Rendezvous with the Moon, which has 5 songs on x-strung harp and a companion book with the arrangements for harp and voice; and Persephone's Art, featuring three more songs on x-strung harp. She also has a book of music called "Verlene's Cross-strung Harp Book" which includes solos, duets and vocal accompaniments. Visit her website at http://www.verlene.com and click on "harp books" for complete descriptions of the books, and click on "recordings" for descriptions and sound clips from her CD's.
- CROSS STRUNG CHROMATIC HARP TRAINING COURSES. Cours de harpe chromatique à cordes croisées.
Le Conservatoire de Musique à Bruxelles (Belgique) offre un cours spécialisé dans la
harpe chromatique à cordes croisées. Ce cours vise à former des harpistes professionnels.
(contacter Francette Bartholomée, adresse ci-dessus). Il y a aussi une Académie de Musique
à Bruxelles, qui offre aussi des cours de harpe chromatique à cordes croisées à l'intention des
amateurs ou des futures professionnels. (contacter Paola Chatelle, adresse ci-dessus).
- Harper Tasche held a workshop on playing the cross strung chromatic harp Summer 1999. See Fall 1999 Folk Harp Journal for report. Contact Harper Tasche for potential similar events. See Registry.
- Books: a new book has been published: X-Harps. History, playing technique, music, contruction of the cross strung chromatic harp. Hannelore Devaere and Philippe Clement. Contact the latter.